Rabbit farming is a very profitable venture in Nigeria. With its low set up cost and ease of management, it makes rabbit farming a lucrative business were huge financial outlay is not needed. Rabbits are herbivores which efficiently convert fodder to food. Rabbit can be quickly grown and are a cheap source of protein. They can be reared for consumption or commercial undertaking. Rabbits that are on forage feeding reach table weight around 6-7 months of age.
IMPORTANCE OF RABBITARY
- Rabbit are efficient feed converters to high quality protein, they uses local forages and food wastes that are of no direct value to humans.
- Meat from rabbit is an all-white meat product that is high in protein of about 20.8% and low in fat, sodium and cholesterol as compared to other common meats, such as beef, lamb, pork and poultry. Rabbit meat has been recommended for years by some physicians to their patients with coronary heart conditions.
- Rabbit also gives useful by-product like the fur which is useful for making cardigans
- There is excellent product acceptance with respect to social and religious traditions in other words it is not restricted by any strong taboos or particular beliefs that prevent the eating of rabbit meat or its promotion as food.
- It matures for table between 5 -6 months, breeding (5 – 7 months).
You can own a Rabbit business with as low as N35, 000 in the ARMI Livestock Zone; we can also help you set up your rabbit business.